Man. Gas Processes
Contamination Threat Modes
Residuals - Components
Sources of MGP Liquid Effluent
FMG Plants in the US
Parallel MG Technologies
Think you've found a gas works?
Locating and Confirming a Site
Locations of US Gas Plants
FMGP In The News
FMGP In The Arts
Coal-tar Site Litigation
Related sites on the Internet
Literature of Manufactured Gas
Publications by Dr. Hatheway
Slide Shows by Dr. Hatheway
Slide Shows by others
Locations of Gas Plants and Other Coal-tar Sites in the
THE STATE OF UTAH
vast spaces, punctuated in gas-time by small towns, was never notably developed
to manufactured gas. Gas plants swiftly followed the passage of the
transcontinental railroad in 1869, with Mormon track-laying labor being repaid
in rails and rolling stock sufficient to bring an indigenous Utah Central
Railroad down from Ogden to Salt Lake City early in 1870.
abundant in south-central Utah and gas was in place at Salt Lake City by 1873,
and followed by gas works at Ogden and Provo. For a brief time, in the late
1880ís the Federal government operated the Salt Lake City plant as a confiscated
property during the course of the Edmunds-Tucker Act, which briefly led to
disincorporation of the Church of the Later Day Saints.
manufactured gas companies were Utah-financed and remained stable until the
inevitable consolidation, which occurred in the 1920s. The consolidating entity,
Utah Power & Light Company (formed 1910) became the sole gas utility. Utahís
outlying towns were almost all agrarian in nature and did not represent
sufficient capital to finance manufactured gas works. The various financing
schemes attendant with the lower-cost electric power generators and sufficient
stream power in the Rocky Mountain portion of the State lead to widespread
alternate lighting use of electricity after about 1890. Utah was the second to
last state to establish public regulation (1917) of utilities and records show
it to have been a non-proactive watchdog, responding mainly to complaints.
ovens were established at Beaver County and in batteries at Sunnyside and Castle
Gate, in Carbon County (1902) and were operated in the non-by-product mode until
closure by U.S. Steel Corporation in 1954. Steel mills were of the pig-iron
supply type, but transition into the use by-product coke ovens, beginning with
the 1923 construction of the Columbia Steel plant at Ironton, near Provo. Salt
Lake City promoters brought San Francisco capital into Provo, mainly from the
Pacific Gas & Electric Company. The works was sold to U.S. Steel Corporation in
natural gas had passed through the Wasatch-Front cities by 1934 via Uinta Basin
Field pipeline, terminating at Pocatello, Idaho.
Click the blue "EPA" link below to view the
Utah map of the EPA 1985 Radian FMGP Report.
Click the green "Hatheway" link
below to view the
Utah map of Professor Hatheway's research.
Visitors since 07/16/08