Man. Gas Processes
Contamination Threat Modes
Residuals - Components
Sources of MGP Liquid Effluent
FMG Plants in the US
Parallel MG Technologies
Think you've found a gas works?
Locating and Confirming a Site
Locations of US Gas Plants
FMGP In The News
FMGP In The Arts
Coal-tar Site Litigation
Related sites on the Internet
Literature of Manufactured Gas
Publications by Dr. Hatheway
Slide Shows by Dr. Hatheway
Slide Shows by others
Locations of Gas Plants and Other Coal-tar Sites in the
THE STATE OF WYOMING
The vast, open spaces of mineral-rich, population-poor Wyoming were never
well-suited to the development of manufactured gas, and this historic legacy has
left the State essentially free of coal-tar-type waste. For Wyoming the rule of
discovery of PAHs has only a few essential elements:
• Former gas works are confined to the largest of the cities
and to a limited number of frontier military posts, even then further limited by
the declined activity after the Congressional support for illuminating posts
only after 1880;
• Wood treatment plants operated by several railroads, for
supply of ties and bridge timbers, largely shipped East;
• Producer gas plants employed in industry, particularly
those furnishing bulk plaster and cement.
Wyoming’s first town gas works was established at Cheyenne, probably shortly
after arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad, about 1869. The author’s research
has not yet established the actual date, and this research for Wyoming is
hampered by the rather late arrival of Daniel Sanborn’s insurance-map surveyors,
who produced their first map in the State (Cheyenne) only in 1894. This is the
first known depiction of an FMGP in Wyoming, yet its presence was noted by
Switzler in the 1888 Annual Report of the U.S. Treasury Department (p.
Gas manufacturing interests in Wyoming began as adjunct activities by electric
power companies, who began to appear in the electricity boom, shortly after
Edison’s invention of the incandescent light bulb. By this and the Treasury
Department report, we can speculate that the Cheyenne gas works came to life
probably around 1885.
The author’s current rule-of-thumb for Wyoming is that most of the State's larger
towns never received manufactured gas service and that their earliest utility
light came from small oil-fired electric generating stations. Typical of this
scenario is the case of Sheridan, which experienced a tortuous, decade-long
experiment with on and off-again gas lighting, financed from Denver, and then
only after 1908. At the time, coal was not being widely mined in Wyoming and the
dominantly east-west nature of its rail service precluded economical shipment of
the closest coal resources, which were then located in Colorado.
A succession of light and power companies dominated manufactured gas in Wyoming
and were only replaced as they, themselves, began to be served by regional
natural gas pipelines, beginning in 1925 (Colorado-Wyoming Gas Co.). By 1934,
the Texas Panhandle gas transmission pipeline had reached Cheyenne, and in the
same decade, Wyoming natural gas was being produced and transported east, first
The first of several wood treatment plants of Wyoming came into being at
Cheyenne, in 1886, by which time the Union Pacific RR had organized timber
cutting and drop-offs at its Wyoming rail sidings and was capable of bringing in
the treatment chemicals. At first, UPRR chose the zinc-based Burnettizing
process, later to be replaced with coal-tar creosote. These developments came
with the need to begin replacing the railroad’s earlier timber, then well-rotted
after nearly two decades of service."
In 1899 the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy RR (now Burlington Northern/Santa Fe)
established a creosote-based wood-treating pressure plant at Sheridan. Some time
after Riverton was established in 1906, The Chicago & Northwestern RR built a
pressure plant at that location.
Laramie, the capital and university city, was without manufactured gas until
about 1898, when the local company bore the name of Laramie Electric, Gas Light
& Fuel Co. It is believed that the first gas manufactured at Laramie was by way
of a Lowe-type carburetted water gas set. Wyoming State University (now
University of Wyoming) was itself lit by gasoline-gas machines, such as was
present in 1907 in the basement of Science Hall.
Producer gas plants, furnishing internal industrial fuel gas, began to appear
after the turn of the century and needed only rail access to coal. These likely
were clustered mainly around Cheyenne and Laramie. Coke ovens, both of the
beehive and by-product recovery type, are known to have been located in Wyoming,
again, such as at Kemmerer, where rail sidings were available for in-shipment of
the coal and out-shipment of the more valuable and less dense industrial fuel
With the post-World War II long term Federal government interest in coal
gasification, grants went to various entrepreneurs and petroleum companies
alike, including one designed for the Occidental Petroleum Company, by John
Blume Associates, of San Francisco.
Click the blue "EPA" link below to view the
Wyoming map of the EPA 1985 Radian FMGP Report.
Click the green "Hatheway" link
below to view the
Wyoming map of Professor Hatheway's research.